English Language Assessment Test
NAME: _________________________________ DATE: ____________________
SECTION I – GRAMMAR total_____min
Read the following sentences carefully. Encircle the letter of the correct answer.
1. When we _____ at the hotel, the desk clerk informed us that he had given our room to another family.
A. have arrived
C. will arrive
2. She _____ that movie four times! I know that she won’t want to see it again.
A. is seeing
B. was seeing
C. had seen
D. has seen
3. Jets travel fast! By the time you have driven home, your uncle _____ 500 miles.
A. will have flown
B. will be flying
C. is flying
4. He _____ the leaves. I’ll have him call you after he is finished.
A. is raking
B. had raked
C. had been raking
5. George _____ for five hours in the woods before he was able to call an ambulance for help.
A. is bleeding
B. will bleed
C. had been bleeding
6. When the veterinarian informed Kendra that her dog _____ a few hours earlier, she became very depressed.
A. will have died
B. had died
C. had been dying
D. has been dying
7. Zack _____ the sidewalk when he noticed someone trying to break into the store across the street.
A. has swept
B. was sweeping
C. is weeping
8. Sarina has already told Ashley that everyone ______ at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow in front of Nick’s apartment.
A. will meeting
B. are meeting
C. has met
D. will be meeting
9. You _____ too much money on gasoline. We only have $200 left for rent.
A. had been spending
B. have been spending
C. will have spent
D. had spent
10. Jeannie and his friend _____ every morning in the park. They’re both in excellent health.
A. had jogged
B. will have been jogging
D. had been jogging
11. At 5:00 p.m. next Tuesday, the astronauts _____ one month in space. That’s a long time.
A. will have been working
B. are working
C. will be working
12. You _____ problems trying to enter that country without a visa. Please get one before we leave.
A. had been having
B. will have
C. are having
D. will have had
13. Tom _____ me yesterday for the gift that I had given him at his birthday party last Sunday.
B. will have thanked
D. has thanked
14. My foot really _____ . Do you think I should call a doctor?
A. had hurt
C. has hurt
D. will have hurt
15. By tomorrow morning we _____ our bicycles 100 km. My legs will really be tired.
A. will ride
B. have ridden
D. will have ridden
Search for grammatical errors in the highlighted sections of the following sentences and select the option that best corrects them. If there is no error, choose option A.
16. To no ones surprise, Joe didn’t have his homework ready.
A. no ones surprise
B. noones surprise
C. no-ones surprise
D. no ones’ surprise
E. no one’s surprise
17. After it was repaired it ran perfect again.
A. ran perfect
B. ran perfectly
C. could run perfect
D. could of run perfect
E. would run perfectly
18. “Are there two E’s in beetle,” asked Margo?
A. there two E’s in beetle,” asked Margo?
B. their two E’s in beetle?” asked Margo.
C. their two E’s in beetle,” asked Margo.
D. there two E’s in beetle?” asked Margo.
E. there two E’s in beetle, asked Margo?
19. The fact that boxing is known to cause head injuries and brain damage should lead us to inform the public and push for a ban on boxing.
A. should lead us to inform
B. could lead us to inform
C. should of led us to inform
D. will lead us to inform
E. should have led us to inform,
20. In August my parents will be married for twenty-five years.
A. will be married for twenty-five years.
B. shall have been married for twenty-five years.
C. will have been married for twenty-five years.
D. will be married for twenty five years.
E. will have married for twenty-five years.